Heaven on Earth: Stories of Fly Fishing, Fun and Faith
By Andrew Marshall Wayment
I’m typically not a book reader, I just don’t usually have the time nor patience for it…but when Andy approached me a few months ago with the opportunity to read his book, I jumped on board. It’s about fly fishing — why not give it a crack?! I actually have to publicly apologize right here and right now for the delay in posting this review. I chose to read the book not once, but twice – which took some time.
This book has had a permanent place in my purse for the better part of six months now…mixed in with the wallet, pull-ups, floatant, fruit snacks, lolly-pops (i.e. bribes), face wipes, bubble gum, spare fly box and every other thing you can imagine is in my magic Mom bag. And during those extremely rare brief moments of silence…waiting at the doctor’s office, in the car at school pick-up, or just enjoying a bread bowl at the bakery sans kids, I was able to take small bites out of this book.
I have been enriched. Andy takes a thoughtful approach to each section ~ short fish tales of family and life with a soulful touch. He talks of his faith and makes some really insightful references and analogies to scripture and fly fishing that I was especially thankful for. As most of you probably know by now, my journey into fly fishing began almost exactly a year ago (Aug 2011) – directly after a tumultuous marriage that ended in divorce, leaving me the primary caretaker for 3 precious kiddos – which is not always a walk in the park. Fly fishing became my escape, my solitude, peace, therapy and renewed my life. I 100% believe fly fishing has helped me to become a better mother – and even most recently a better wife to none other than my new (fly fishing) husband, the love of my life Zach. I’ve put a lot of thought recently into the magical (or is it Divine) energy that comes with fly fishing and every turn of the page seemed to hit the nail on the head in this book for me. Andy’s words touched something deep in me, stirred emotions that brought laughter, peace and relaxation, and I want to thank him for that!
Here are just a few quotes that made me pause:
- “In nature, we feel the spirit and perfection of our Creator and it refreshes and enlightens us.” - Andrew Wayment
- “…fervent prayer, hard work, and…finding reprieve from the pressure in the outdoors. This is a trifecta for success which I would recommend to anyone in almost any situation.” - Andrew Wayment
- “There is certainly something in angling…that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, and a pure serenity of mind.” - Washington Irving
- “There is something deep in the human spirit that responds to running water. The trout fisherman knows it well.” – A.J. Maclane
- “When a man picks up a fly rod for the first time, he may not know it but he has been born again.” – Joseph D. Farris
- “Many go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not the fish they are after.” – Henry David Thoreau
- “I honestly don’t know why I fish. Or, rather, I fish in order to save my life; I just don’t know why it saves my life.” – John Gierach
- “I still don’t know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel.” – Roderick Haig-Brown
Thank you so very much Andy for sharing with me.
You can purchase this book directly from Andrew on his site - http://www.heavenonearthbook.com/